Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SEWING PROJECTS FOR MYSELF

I used to sew clothes for myself All.The.Time when I was younger. I was athletic, fit, and everything I tried worked perfectly, and most importantly, fit. Around the time Ethan was born, I tried to make some things for myself, but my body had changed- I lost most of the pregnancy weight, but things were just, well, different. I tried a few more times but was always less than thrilled with the results. By the time I was running around chasing my three gorgeous boys (all born within 39 months of each other), I had simply given up on the idea. I loved my babies and I loved my life, but a thyroid issue and stress binge-snacking had me not quite loving my shape. It was a really difficult time. I cringe when I see nearly every photo of me from back then because I know I wasn't looking my best, and I certainly wasn't feeling my best.

I've worked hard over the past few years to like what I see when I look in the mirror, and let me tell you, it isn't just about the body. So much is about what's going on in the mind! I don't need to be perfect- and who is?- but I want to be my best. So I've embraced designing and sewing things for myself in the past year or so. And do you know what? I love it again! Such a great feeling.

Here's a sampling of one of my stashes for this spring/summer, and this year, it's going to be all about the dresses and skirts. I'm a tall 5'9" and the things I keep trying on in stores are simply too short. Same thing with pretty tops and shirts, but that's another story for another day. Sorry if this is totally and completely boring to you, but I kind of love it, ha.

I need a few well-fitting staples in my closet such as a denim softly-pleated A-line skirt, a go-to summer dress (or two, or three!) that can be dressed up or worn casually, and one or two pretty blazers/jackets to pull things together. I made quite a few tops last year- maybe I'll share those sometime- so I'm mostly set with blouses and shirts.

 Since we're barely above zero, and rarely even hitting hitting double digits this winter, dreaming of these summery things is both torture and exciting, ha ha!

I just had to share this cute pic I posted on Instagram a bit ago: we keep taking turns getting sick over here, and Caleb spent one afternoon pouring his little heart into knitting a scarf for Mimi. I LOVE that my boys are secure enough in their "manhood" to embrace crafty things- they are quite talented! All three of them make awesome things.

Speaking of dreaming about spring and summery things, here are the fabrics I'm using this year for custom nightgowns at Rose and Ruffle. I absolutely adore them! So, so pretty! I think #7 and #9 are my favorites. =)
I have more details on my sewing blog- here- and on my shop's site - here. Please let me know if you have any questions about ordering. Thanks!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...