Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs

I suppose I could've called this post "Copy Cat Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs" because they are that good. They're a cinch to whip up, and they look really cute, too. The only problem? They don't stick around for very long.


I love making copy cat treats for my family since I control the ingredients and know exactly what's inside. Though I wouldn't call them healthy (they do have protein, right?), they are fresh and free from preservatives and weird things that I can't pronounce. I found several recipes floating around Pinterest, narrowed my choices down, and ended up combining a couple of them.

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup creamy peanut butter (I use Jiff)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 scant tsp pure vanilla extract or 1.5 tsp regular vanilla extract
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
12 - 16 oz combined dark and milk chocolate chips (I used a 3/4 dark to 1/4 milk ratio)
1 Tbsp vegetable shortening (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
Melt butter in large microwavable bowl, about 30-60 seconds; add peanut butter and melt an additional 30 seconds; stir together. Add vanilla, brown sugar, and powdered sugar in 1/2 cup intervals and mix together - this keeps the dust down and makes it easier to manage. Refrigerate mixture for 15-30 minutes.

Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Scoop up a small ball of the mixture with a spoon or scoop - about the size of a golf ball - and begin to form an egg shape. This part was easier than I thought it would be, although the first few eggs may have looked a little wonky. It takes a few under your belt to get the hang of it. No, that doesn't mean you eat them. Yet.  =)

If the mixture gets too sticky to work with, pop back in the fridge for a few minutes and try again.

Place the peanut butter eggs in the fridge again while you're preparing the melted chocolate. And read up on the Civil War (?) - I must have been preparing stuff for school. HA


Melt chocolate chips and optional shortening in a medium microwavable bowl for 60 seconds on 50% power; stir. Continue melting in 30 second intervals on HIGH if needed, stirring each time. (The shortening makes the chocolate very smooth, which can make dipping the eggs easier, and they have a nice smooth, "sheen" once cooled - I did both ways, and if you prefer to omit the shortening, they will be just as delicious and look great, too, but you will have to work quicker, since the melted chocolate will begin to harden faster.)


I found it easiest to place the egg flat down on a fork over the bowl while drizzling the melted chocolate from a spoon all over the top. If any areas were not covered, simply lower the egg to the melted chocolate in the bowl and use the spoon edge to push the chocolate against the sides of the egg. Return chocolate-covered egg to waxed paper to set.

I found it best to work with two sheets lined with waxed paper, and work in mini shifts. I would get 5-6 eggs coated in chocolate at a time and pop into the fridge to harden, then work on the next 5-6, rotating pans from dipping to fridge to set. The peanut butter eggs should remain chilled for coating, and the chocolate coating should be chilled in order to retain its rich sheen.


I was tempted to add pastel sprinkles or other happy little decorations, but when all was said and done, I realized that I didn't want any other textures or flavors interfering with that gorgeous peanut butter inside or the rich, smooth chocolatey outside. I'll save the pretty colors for the real eggs we dye.  ;)

Enjoy!

Looking for another great chocolate recipe? 

These Cream Cheese-Topped Brownies won't disappoint!

Or maybe these fantastic Whoopie Pies with Real Creme Filling



sharing with:
Funky Polkadot Giraffe 
DIY by Design 
Design Dazzle
Chef in Training 
Sew Many Ways 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo... These seem like a wonderful/terrible idea! lol I would probably eat them all in one sitting! : D

~Sarah
http://atowngirlslife.blogspot.com/

suzyhomemaker said...

Love chocolate and peanut butter! Such an easy recipe. I have also used melted coconut oil in place of shortening. It does the same thing without the trans fats! One time I didn't and the candy was a big gloopy mess. :)
Visiting from Tuesday Talent show and pinning!

DIYbyDesign said...

My absolute favorites. I will be featuring this tonight at my Swing into Spring party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...