Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Upcycling Leggings and Adding Special Touches to Handmade Clothes

I just love sewing things for my little girl to wear! And I'll be honest, the compliments and praises of both friends and strangers has a tendency to make one's day a little brighter. More than that, though, it's extremely gratifying to embellish basic patterns, even if it's just with a simple bow or an easy peasy pleated ruffle.

I've noticed the trend in little girl's shorts is to make them shorter and shorter (and tighter), and well, I'm simply not a fan. So I thought it would fun to make some and add a basic pleated ruffle along the legs. I love how it turned out!

It was very quick and easy to do...probably the most time-consuming part was figuring out how long to make the strip of fabric and ironing in the pleats.


They're perfect for a picnic playdate at the park!


The next project was a cute tunic top--


The first add-on was this sweet bow.


Then, some pretty crocheted lace around the hem. Such an easy way to add charm and detail.


The top would have been cute left alone, but adding those little extras make it really adorable. I think she likes it.  ;)


Oh, and those little purple capris? Isabelle had a small hole in one knee and refused to wear them, even for play, so... I chopped them off and salvaged what little fabric I could to create the ruffles. Overall I'm pleased with them, but they do tend to curl up a lot. If I'd had the choice, I'd definitely make them longer, and I think that would alleviate the curling up issue.
I simple curved both ends of the ruffle pieces prior to sewing them in place (think rectangles with curved edges) and overlapped the curved edges very slightly when sewing the ruffles to the legs, top-stitched close to the seam, and voila! Leggings that were destined for the trash can now have new life for spring and summer!

Sharing with//
the Girl Creative 
Katie's Nesting Spot 
Six Sisters' Stuff 
Sew Many Ways 
Sew Can Do
Sugar Bee Crafts 
Lil Luna 

6 comments:

Angie Acapella said...

Those outfits are precious! My mom sews and make s quite a few things for my daughter who is really tall to be 4 years old. She keeps telling me that I need to get a sewing machine and learn how to sew because finding clothes to fit my kid is nearly impossible. Thanks for the inspiration!

Adorned From Above said...

Very cute leggings. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/04/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_30.html
We hope to see you there.
Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

Chelsea B. said...

I'm loving those ruffles! How cute is that. Need to make some shorts for my little one, great inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

I’d love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with free patterns and templates to share are invited to link up!

JShelby said...

adorable!

Heidi Polcyn said...

Love the leggings! I'm sure I will be having that problem with leggings soon, and will be using your solution!

Heidi

handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

Lindsay said...

Very cute little details! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...