Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Saturday, March 7, 2015

EASY SUNDAY DINNER IDEAS

Good Saturday morning! The sun is shining and I hear we might even get up into the 30's today. Woot! Last night we had Jonah's birthday party- it was so much fun! What a great group of boys. I thought, however, that I was going to enjoy a quiet and lazy morning today... but then I woke up at four, ended up making blueberry coffeecake, and generally puttered around doing a little of this and that. Until the quiet ended. =)

Today I'm sharing some easy fix 'em & forget 'em recipes, which have come in handy on Sundays. I've gone to church my whole life, and growing up, I remember always coming home to the smell of something delicious after Sunday service. We enjoyed a big, sit-down meal around one o'clock, sometimes with one set of grandparents or the other. It was just a really special time. In our family now, we typically enjoy a larger Sunday evening meal, but since joining an afternoon Bible Study, this hasn't been working out quite so well, as dinner doesn't get eaten (or prepared) until much later into the evening. And that actually feels a little bit stressful, not exactly how I'd like to welcome a brand new week.

Here are some recipes, all of which can be fixed ahead of time, left in the oven with the timer set, and be ready for us when we're back home around noon.So now I'd like to begin this midday tradition with our family. It's certainly easier with colder weather since we're already sort of stuck indoors, but come summertime, I'm sure I'll happily trade in oven-cooked meals for a cold picnic lunch at the beach or mountains.

When this dish is the main meal, I add cubed ham.
Veggies: sauteed asparagus (10 min); steamed carrots (8-10 min in microwave)
Sides: cottage cheese; canned or fresh fruit

I like to prepare the ingredients sometime on Saturday to save time in the morning.
Sides: rolls or bread for dipping; fruit

Truly a fix it and forget it dish- toss a few sweet potatoes into the oven to bake at the same time
Veggies: potatoes/ sweet potatoes
buttered peas & corn (frozen, steamed) or salad
Sides: cottage cheese; applesauce

Veggies: green beans (or green bean casserole); steamed corn
Sides: corn bread or rolls; applesauce; "pink stuff" or cottage cheese

Aw. I came across this photo from a few years ago as I was looking through the files- we'd had my Mom and Dad over for dinner, and then we headed outside to make S'mores since it was such a gorgeous afternoon. Boy oh boy am I looking forward to green grass and cute little sundresses and eating outside again!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...