Hearty Hash Browns
I have a confession to make.
I didn't actually shred the potatoes myself. Gasp.
I'm still sick, and I just didn't feel like it. But you can do it, if you really want to.
Okay, here's what you'll need:
1 bag frozen shredded potatoes (or again, shred your own)
sharp cheddar cheese & grater
salt & pepper to taste
any "extras" such as peppers, onions, chives, etc
large skillet or pan with fairly deep sides
Here's what you do:
1.. Pour cooking oil in pan, enough to fully coat bottom of pan, over med heat
2. Place single layer of potato shreds over oil (only half the bag)
Now here's the secret to avoiding potato mush- DON'T STIR. Seriously. Resist the temptation to dig in there with the spatula and just let them be for a good 4-5 minutes.
3. Add a dash salt and pepper
4. Add your extras - we love onions & sweet peppers- over the top of potatoes. Cook a few minutes more
5. The potatoes have now begun to hash. I don't really know if that's what you call it. Anyhow, the shreds have formed "clumps," so gently slide your spatula underneath and flip to brown other side. No stirring!
6. Now is the time to fry up some eggs, in a separate pan. Or you can scramble them- that's good too.
7. Your hash is done when the other side is golden brown like the first side. Remove from heat and shred cheese over top- as much as you like!
You can serve it platter-style like this, putting all the eggs atop the hash browns:
Yummy! Look at that golden-y goodness!
Or as individual plates:
Add some fresh fruit, turkey bacon, and you've got a great breakfast!
Perfect for aspiring Olympic athletes like mine. =)