Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Birthday Party Recap & a Cake Recipe!

We all knew it must be getting time for Ethan's birthday party when the skies darkened and the lightning started flashing above.
Every.Single.Year. (Except for his 10th birthday.) Same story.
I'm noticing a trend.  =)

Now this is supposed to be a celebratory, happy little post, but I do have one teensy nugget of contention to share:
It is not cool to not RSVP.
Is it really that difficult, folks?
I mean, does the 30 seconds it takes to call, email, FB, text just seem too overwhelming?
My main issue isn't that it's hard to plan not knowing how many to expect, but mostly that it is SO disappointing for the guest of honor, who in this case, was constantly asking me if so and so was coming, and what could I tell him?
It was awful seeing the disappointment register on his face, but of course we did have a wonderful time with those who were able to come celebrate with us.
Moral of the story here - don't leave people hanging. It's no fun.
 It's okay. We had fun without you. Kidding, totally kidding, kinda...

Here are  few snapshots of the big day...

 13 candles in the shape of...13!
This is seriously the best chocolate cake in the universe...I've got the recipe below.
I spent many hours coloring in those 13 signs. We taped them all over the walls & they looked really fun and festive.

Here are some other shots of the decorations.
13 year old boys don't care much about themes and such, so we just made things look bright and cheery.


I've learned not to put the birthday kid in a spot that's difficult to take pictures of.
The far corner was optimal, so that seat got tons of balloons.
And I just tackle anyone who gets in my way now. Lesson learned.

I was running around and never got a good photo of the food table. Shame on me!
Looks kind of pitiful. There was more, I promise!
And it was so yummy!
My serving bowls are pretty, right?  =)
I've got another recipe to share for later, too- fresh salsa!

I still cannot believe that my firstborn son is now a teenager!
He is such a wonderful boy, and I'm very thankful to be his Mom!

Aunts and Uncles...and adorable baby cousins!
Thank you everybody!!
Okay, onto that fabulous cake...
Here's what you need
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups flour (we use unbleached)
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa 
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
**The recipe I pinned is found here. I simply changed the sugar amounts.

 Here's what you do
  • Prepare 2- 9" round cake pans with shortening and flour
  • Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
  • In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients together
  • Next, add liquid ingredients except boiling water and mix on medium for 2-3 minutes
  • Add 1 cup boiling water and stir by hand until blended- it's the water that's magic! It makes the cake so fudge-y!
  • Pour even amounts of batter into pans; bake 30-35 minutes
  • Cool and decorate

That's it! Easy peasy! This is the fudgiest, yummiest, richest chocolate cake you will ever sink a fork into!

**The frosting is super easy too, but I have to admit I don't follow the directions to the letter here. I toss in a softened stick of butter, a splash of vanilla, about 1/2 - 3/4 cups cocoa powder, and massive amounts of confectioner's sugar, plus 1/4 cup milk. I play around with all this until I get the taste and consistency I want. I can't even tell you how good it all is! This is one of those cakes you must make and try for yourself!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...