Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Mom Fail

Ugh. I know it happens to all of us, but I seem to be stuck in this pattern of "missing the boat," for lack of a better term. I was supposed to have ordered some of our history books already. Completely spaced it, and now I won't be able to start with what I'd been planning on for months. This was the year for Isabelle to get a monogrammed backpack from LL Bean (since I slacked and didn't do that for either kindergarten OR first grade). When I looked last week, color choices 1 and 2 were already sold out until October. Well, as of yesterday morning, color choices 3 & 4 are now gone. So pretty much an orange and a funky citrus color remain. Great. There's more, but it doesn't warrant the time or energy to write, ha.

Now I know these are not earth-shattering things, but after a while, they wear on a poor Mama. That, and now I can't stop thinking about Robin Williams. A man with such wealth and influence and opportunity, still unable to conquer his demons. I don't know about his spiritual state in any way, but it makes me mindful of the danger in finding (or placing) our worth in temporary, fleeting, and fickle things. We will always come up empty, time and time again. How deeply sad.

I've got tons of pictures from our little trip to Maine last week that need editing, but I'll share this one. It's the church and small schoolhouse that my Dad attended on the little island where he grew up. I just love my father, one of the most generous, kind, and faithful people I've ever known. I get a little choked up when I think of his very humble beginnings because he worked so hard to give my brother and me a safe, fun, and fulfilling childhood. And I'm so grateful. I hope I can be half the parent he has been. (Yes, of course I adore my Mom, too! But her history is not in Maine...)


Happy Tuesday! I think I'm going to go do something really fun with my kiddos today!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...